Thursday

Change would do me good

The last month- literally- has brought a whirlwind of storm. Namely that I am going to move out (finally-- my roommate is borderline intolerable) and I am about a mm away from dropping out of my doctoral program. I'm waiting until Sept to find myself a job, but by then I should have a masters at least.

Of course, being NP and being quite nutty, I already started applying to jobs. Yes, I realize this is February. I applied to McKinsey and the UN in areas that *somewhat* fit into what I'm doing. I didn't hear back from either of them! Yes, I realize they are incredibly hard to get into, but I suppose my point is that it is very hard to get a job without knowing anyone. Networking is key-- but only upto a point. I mean, I had a friend in the UN, but unfortunately she does not know anyone in that particular group (or so she says). Grumble.

I had a hard time breaking into a new field when I graduated college and I have been traumatized by the experience. Now I am trying to break into a field (sort of) again, and I am feeling the jitters. Will I be an overeducated homeless person? Will I never get an income, except in the middle of Kansas where I assume they are desperate for people? Suddenly, staying in my doctoral program seems like a rosy option.

Sigh.

No comments: