Saturday

Bridget Jones is not fat

Just came back from a delicious vacation. Absolutely excellent. Unpacking today all my smelly clothes (smelling like Deet, sweat, and general camping smells). The reason why I'm talking as if I'm British (well, sort of) is because I was watching Bridget Jones' Diary while I was unpacking. While I was watching it, I thought to myself, Bridget Jones is not fat!



I then proceeded to do what I always do with my "deep thoughts"-- Google 'em! So I Googled my thought "Bridget Jones is not fat," and came up with several websites that expressed my opinion, such as this excellent one. I was really surprised to discover that the actress who played Bridget Jones (Renee Zell-what's-her-name) thought that her normal weight as a woman who is 5'5" should be 110 pounds. Hmmmm. I'm not going to judge Renee's on her opinion- she may be have a rail-thin body type to begin with- but I think that as a public figure talking about such a sensitive issue, it's important for one to think about what message they want to give. It's sad that girls as young as seven start dieting- not because of their health, but to acheive (sometimes unhealthy) skinny body types. Why? Shouldn't they just try to be healthy and focus on their minds? I understand one wouldn't want to be fat- practically, there is a general social stigma and it may lead to health problems- but it's unfortunate that girls feel such pressure to diet for the wrong reasons. I know, I know. That's not a very deep thought. but still.

No comments: