Tuesday

Is this really happening to me? Part I

I started my new job in science policy. And I love it. Love it with a capital L.

I also feel like a fish out of water.

Here I am, a trained engineer, a lowly junior engineer used to sitting in front of computers with my spreadsheets. In my engineering jobs, I’d be lucky enough to get invited to meetings, and they were usually design meetings where we discussed whether we should dredge 1 million cubic yards out of a river, or whether we should dredge 3 million cubic yards. Here I have a meeting every day accompanying my boss, in front of well-spoken, articulate folks who are at least 10 years older than me, and look like they are very used to ordering people around. They never talk design, they talk about “alliances,” and “task forces.” And they laugh, cajole each other, and have those important side conversations after the meeting. I sit mute, silently observing the political plays. These people have people skills. I don’t. How did I end up here? I must have given a damn good interview.

So I’m thinking all these things a week into my job. I am excited, because my boss has promised me that he would teach me these people skills (which, I have learned, includes knowing how to invite everyone to meetings so nobody gets left out). It’s very interesting and sometimes laughable when I think about how there is no dirty work, and it’s all memos and chats! Then I sober up and realize they still make more money than the next engineer.

One week of excitement and bliss. I happily read the material my boss sends my way, try and absorb some of the 5-6 ongoing projects he has going on. He seems busy, even overwhelmed at times, so I'm happy to be busy and assist and learn!

On day 7, my boss comes upto me to talk to me about some emails I should be sending out. "I have interesting news," says Boss. Oooh, I think, and I nod happily, thinking it might be a new miniproject I can finally take on. "I'm leaving," he says instead.

Panic ensues…

No comments: