Thursday

Tea Kettle

I recently bought a tea kettle from a neighbor who was moving out for a mere 5 dollars. I was excited. Being a big tea person, and having always made my tea in my small little pot, I now was the proud owner this pretty, green, nifty tea kettle. No, it wasn't an electric kettle. It wasn't even very big. But NP- well, she gets excited about little things.

So I proceeded to brew my tea in the kettle today. I decided to brew some Earl Grey with cinnamon, cloves, and cardomon pods, my favorite cup of tea. After putting in about half and half of water and vanilla soymilk, I set the tea kettle on my burner, and went back to my room to wait for the whistling. Once I heard the whistling, I went back to the kitchen and to my dismay saw most of my tea spurting out of the kettle and onto the kitchen floor. You see, I not only got the whistling, I got the rise of milk when it boils. Duh. I should have remembered that. That's the reason I always watched my milk tea brewing like a mother watching her child when I used to use the old-school pot. Back then, as soon as the tea began to rise, I'd turn off the heat, and drink my delicious brew.

Well, this not so delicious brew ended up coating the inside of my burner, leaving a mess for me to clean up. I also got lumps of boiled soymilk. WTF? That never happened to me before, and I'm still not sure why I got them. Stupid, stupid NP. So all in all, I got about 1/2 a cup of lumpy tea, to which I gamely added my spices and even more gamely tried to sip-- very very gingerly. Ah well. Lesson learned. Highlight of the day.

No comments: