Friday

Misanthrope

Being a misanthrope today and slightly freaking out about work, I've holed myself up in the library to "read." That, of course, consists of ocassionally glancing down at the article, but mostly reading the New York Times and checking Facebook every 15 minutes to live vicariously through people I don't even talk to anymore. Makes me realize I should talk to them-- they seem to have much more interesting lives than me. Oh well. The bad thing is my lab wants to go out to lunch. Which puts me in self-exile. I've been avoiding the office and holing myself up here so that I don't have to be peer-pressured to join them. Going out with a bunch of awkward people who don't drink, don't stay up past 11 pm, don't do anything outside of work, ideas of parties are boring potlucks, and say things like "gosh darn!" makes me want to bash my head into my desk.

So I've been surreptitiously sending emails from the library to the organizer of the outing, with lines such as "Dear --, unfortunately I am stuck at home, feverishly doing work! " Neither of which is true. My estimation is that they are leaving within an hour to go to lunch, at which point, I can sneak out of the library, back to the empty office, and eat lunch in peace. Then right before they come back, I'll sneak out of the office, and go back to the library for the rest of the afternoon. And later, in the evening, when I've accomplished 15% of what I ambitiously planned to do, I'll sneak back out of the library. I'll go back to the office to pack up (knowing that Miss Goody Two Shoes will still be there since she doesn't have a life), and be like, "So busy! No time to talk, guys! Hope you had time! Bye!" and then run home. At which point, I will eat dinner, watch TV, and go out for drinks with a friend of mine. You see, I've got this all planned. Meticulously.

No comments: