Wednesday

Maybe I should call it the Zoo

It's been a month. And I have come to 2 conclusions:

1. Engineering grad students are WEIRD. Weird as in antisocial, socially awkward, and really bad dressing skills.

2. Every time Bwoy comes and visits me, and then leaves on a big airplane to go back to NY, it's like someone pulling off a million bandaids off my body. Ouch. His presence is like bandaids. And I mean that in a good way.

Okay, back to point #1. Maybe that's why I have made only 2 friends (one of whom is my roommate). Actually now that I think about it, the second friend is on the verge of aquaintance-dom. Partly because I feel I have scared him with my hyperactivity (sort of in the way people who have been in solitary confinement act when they get out-- you know, eager to see another human being). Where are all the non-dorks in this place? I feel so out of place here. Maybe I should have gone to biz school.

The other day I went to a barbeque with Bwoy (who was visiting me and making my weekend) and we both commented on the awkwardness surrounding us. I felt like I was among lemurs. Lemurs who kept staring at us with these big, forlorn eyes, shy and scared to death. Of what? Chatting with a petite girl like me? They'd sit in chairs, willing themselves to blend into the dull metallic gray seats. Their big lemur eyes would flick from my eyes to the floor to their burgers to my eyes and back to the floor. These lemurs wore shapeless white t-shirts and apparently have never heard of the art of "the good handshake." Shaking hands was a general mix of limp fingers, dead cold fingers, and really wet fingers. And that's only if they ever even woke from their terrorized stupor to even shake hands. Blech.


And to point # 2- I need pointers on how not to miss Bwoy. Especially when he gets on that airplane each time. Bandaids hurt, man. Sigh.

No comments: