Sunday

Boys who dance

Last weekend I went out to two vastly different parties in Chicago. The first was at Japonais, a swank club patronized by celebrities (okay, once I saw Hugh Hefner and his Playboy bunnies at it on an episode of "Girls Next Door"). I had a $13 cocktail that was quite good and strong, looked around at the dressy, 30-yr olds around me. We sat, sipped, chatted, looked. We sat outside, at the very pretty veranda they have, attended by attractive watiresses, generic hiphop playing in the background suggestively, although nobody danced-- just sipped and chatted. I wore a tight peasant white shirt, a beige miniskirt, heels, earrings, the works.

The second party was at The Hideout-- pure hipster bliss. I wore sandals, a dingy gray shirt, and a cute gray miniskirt that ballooned out and had pockets, as is the fashion. No earrings, no makeup. But after three hours there, I came out a sweaty mess and it was HELLA fun. Damn, hipsters get down when dancing. I was there with three of my girlfriends, and dudes actually approached us and ASKED us if we wanted to dance! No grabbing of asses or sneakily coming up from behind to grind! In fact, there was no grinding! This was the first party in Chicago where the majority of guys were actually dancing by themselves and ENJOYING IT. I've been to plenty of places in Wicker Park, Bucktown, and other hoods with a good percentage of hipsters, but didn't see such unalderated dancing like here. No need or urge to hump a girl, just pure simple fun of dancing. Being a lover of dance, this made me happy. I eventually dragged my friend to the stage at the end of the night and within five minutes we had almost the entire club join us. I was sober the entire night.

Truth be told, although I am not in a profession typical of a hipster, I like hanging out with them and dancing. So much fun! Everybody was sweaty and just plain rockin gout to the music (most of which I did not recognize. yes, I am an unashamed fan of booty music). Anyways,just my thoughts and a belated update on my come home at 4am every night wknds in the summer. Chicago in the summer- sigh. EVERYONE goes out and parties. Nuts.

No comments: